Nearly at the end of the year I figure it might be time to review my 12 for 2012 plans for the year.
Mr. Wolff doesn’t believe in New Years resolutions. I don’t either, at least not in a grand sweeping gesture way. I do however believe that the New Year is as good a time as any to start making improvements to your life, particularly forming new habits.
I don’t even remember what I was planning to do last year but I know I’m not likely to have achieved those goals. But rather than dwell on what I didn’t do I’m going to focus on what I will do, so here are my 12 for 2012.
Grow food, not necessarily a whole garden but at least one item of food. Maybe garlic or a regularly used herb, if I can do this then maybe I can try having a veggie garden. Done I managed to grow onions, garlic, chives and strawberries
Make handmade gifts for birthdays. Not just in an effort to save money and wind back my galloping consumerism but in an effort to make people’s birthday gift a thoughtful, special item.
Done, not all but almost every birthday gift this year has been handmade, I probably won’t be doing as many next year
Use the wall planner I have bought to stay on top of things, instead of asking for reminders constantly. It’s time to start being on top of things again.
Done, while not foolproof it definitely helped keep ahead of gift giving but I could’ve used more
4. Pending official acceptance on the 16th of January, study my little heart out. Start accepting that while visual arts isn’t respected as a career path by a lot of people I know it’s where my heart is.
Not exactly, child care was too stressful for Eve and too expensive
5. Go camping. Now that we live right near the river there is just no excuse not to take advantage of the beautiful place we live.
Complete fail, I haven’t even been to the river more than once this year
Create a budget and start saving for a house, it’s well and truly time to depart from the renting circle of stress.
Done. House bought and is currently at varied levels of de and reconstruction.
Get fit. I’ve managed to shed the extra kilos through not eating dairy and watching my calorie count, it’s time now to actually improve my fitness level. No matter how much I hate exercise! I’m thinking of trying the couch to 5k program.
Done and undone, I completed the couch to 5k but have dropped running since in favour of renovating our kitchen.
8. Start sewing Evie’s clothes, it’s a much easier way to get cute items and lets face it much cheaper than buying them.
Failed, but I do have done cute fabrics put aside to start this.
9. Make jam and fruit butters, generally expand my non-dairy / vegan recipe diary.
Failed, but not having a kitchen for a large chunk of the year is a semi valid excuse.
10. Date my husband. I’d love to say once a month but at least every two months.
Not really but we’re not really the going out type.
11. Read. At least one book a month preferably a third of which should be classics.
Do magazines and design books count?
12. Have a trapeze, tightrope or other circus art lesson.
Nope, kind of forgot about this after it didn’t happen for my birthday.
So not quite half way there but, nevermind it’s been a good year all the same.
Now to think on whether I’ll plan some for 2013, if I keep writing I guess you’ll see in a few days.