Kitchen update

Not much progress has been made with our kitchen, partially because it’s hard to work with a 15 month old underfoot and partially because we are living in the house while renovating so it has to remain somewhat functional.

That being said, the rest of the carpet is now up and I’ve made some progress removing the carpet glue from the boards.

To remove the carpet glue and remnants of underlay first I sweep.

20121023-154701.jpg

Then Eve helps me spread it back out do I get to enjoy sweeping all over again.

20121023-154746.jpg

I then use hot water and a plastic scraper to remove as much as possible of the remaining underlay and glue. It really doesn’t shift as much as I would like so I’m looking in to other methods before sanding.

Unfortunately it’s not always good things that we expose. So far I’ve found so big chunks out of boards and poor patching. More than likely we will replace those boards and possibly those that are cracked and stain the entire floor to get an even colour.

20121023-155323.jpg

More excitingly (and let’s face it that’s not a high bar to clear given that I’m talking about scraping carpet glue). Our downdraft has arrived! We ordered a lovely De Dietrich downdraft through Grays online for a third of their retail price.

20121023-160205.jpg

I’ve also found a slab of marble that I’m hoping to snag for our dining table/bar, and have begun marking out the spaces for our cabinets. Okay actually none of these are exciting to anyone but me. But there you have it the snail paced move forward in our kitchen renovation.

Advertisements

Kitchen update

Not much progress has been made with our kitchen, partially because it’s hard to work with a 15 month old underfoot and partially because we are living in the house while renovating so it has to remain somewhat functional.
That being said, the rest of the carpet is now up and I’ve made some progress removing the carpet glue from the boards.

To remove the carpet glue and remnants of underlay first I sweep.

20121023-154701.jpg

Then Eve helps me spread it back out do I get to enjoy sweeping all over again.

20121023-154746.jpg

I then use hot water and a plastic scraper to remove as much as possible of the remaining underlay and glue. It really doesn’t shift as much as I would like so I’m looking in to other methods before sanding.

Unfortunately it’s not always good things that we expose. So far I’ve found so big chunks out of boards and poor patching. More than likely we will replace those boards and possibly those that are cracked and stain the entire floor to get an even colour.

20121023-155323.jpg

More excitingly (and let’s face it that’s not a high bar to clear given that I’m talking about scraping carpet glue). Our downdraft has arrived! We ordered a lovely De Dietrich downdraft through Grays online for a third of their retail price.

20121023-160205.jpg

I’ve also found a slab of marble that I’m hoping to snag for our dining table/bar, and have begun marking out the spaces for our cabinets. Okay actually none of these are exciting to anyone but me. But there you have it the snail paced move forward in our kitchen renovation.

Patience is a virtue, that I lack

The plan for the kitchen is to begin renovating in November.

So this week while T is away for work I decided that I really really needed to start pulling up the carpet in the kitchen. To be fair I had already been removing carpet in the back room and was in the swing of things. That and I feel any carpet in the kitchen is weird (this carpet was also disgusting).

I was also very curious as to what lay beneath the carpet because we knew that it was more than likely different to the pine that we’ve uncovered in the rear of the house.

It’s going to be slow going because the carpet has been glued to the boards, but so far so promising.

First cut

20121011-210855.jpg

Scary mould like stains, mostly near the sink

20121011-210957.jpg

First strip of carpet removed

20121011-211110.jpg

Beautiful timber peeking through

20121011-211159.jpg

Being a couple of weeks ahead of schedule is almost certainly a good thing owing to the difficulty of removing the carpet glue. After seein the timber I’ve had also change a change of heart regarding
staining the boards dark, so hopefully this early start buys me some time to rethink the colour scheme.

Patience is a virtue, that I lack

The plan for the kitchen is to begin renovating in November.
So this week while T is away for work I decided that I really really needed to start pulling up the carpet in the kitchen. To be fair I had already been removing carpet in the back room and was in the swing of things. That and I feel any carpet in the kitchen is weird (this carpet was also disgusting).

I was also very curious as to what lay beneath the carpet because we knew that it was more than likely different to the pine that we’ve uncovered in the rear of the house.

It’s going to be slow going because the carpet has been glued to the boards, but so far so promising.

First cut

20121011-210855.jpg

Scary mould like stains, mostly near the sink

20121011-210957.jpg

First strip of carpet removed

20121011-211110.jpg

Beautiful timber peeking through

20121011-211159.jpg

Being a couple of weeks ahead of schedule is almost certainly a good thing owing to the difficulty of removing the carpet glue. After seeing the timber I’ve had also change a change of heart regarding
staining the boards dark, so hopefully this early start buys me some time to rethink the colour scheme.