Another Thursday another step towards making housekeeping less stressful.
This week, I’ve started on my pantry. We only have one tiny cupboard to use for our pantry, at least until we build our new kitchen and it’s been driving me crazy. I’ve started by getting glass jars for flours, sugars and other dry goods in an effort to move away from bpa filled plastics. The other benefit of glass jars is it is easy to see and identify the contents, although I will be labeling them in the coming weeks.
I’ve the also gotten some additional use out of a small space by putting wire racks (plastic coated unfortunately) and small bpa free plastic trays to hold my spices and other small items.
Part way through it occurred to me that if I didn’t find something to do with the rolls of baking paper, foil and glad wrap* they were going to take up what little space had been made and just generally drive me nuts by getting in the way. What I needed was an under shelf basket but all of the ones I could find were the wrong proportions.
With a little pondering I figured out the solution.
A spice rack.
Modified by hacksawing away the rungs on the top shelf. This would probably have been easier to do with a decent paid of wire cutters but I don’t own any so the slow way it was.
I then mounted it underneath a shelf.
And slid the rolls in.
I still have to figure out how to make the baking shelf more functional and to label the glass jars, but I’m at least 2/3 of the way through making a tiny space bearable until it is ripped out for our new kitchen.
*i try not to use any of these often but find it easier than not to keep them handy for that odd occasion.